Concrete industry partners from Europe, USA, Latin America and Asia initiated the development of a global responsible sourcing certification system, designed to help concrete, cement and aggregate companies obtain insight in the level to which a company operates in an environmentally, socially and economically responsible way.
Concrete is the world’s most widely used building material. By creating a certification system for responsibly sourced concrete, the Concrete Sustainability Council (CSC) promotes and demonstrates concrete as a sustainable building material to enable informed decision in construction. It is our vision to build a sustainable, safe, durable and comfortable future.
Goals and objectives
- Demonstrate how the operators are minimising impacts through responsible sourcing;
- Raise awareness of the positive attributes of concrete and
- Be transparent, and report on agreed goals/targets;
- Be recognised by (global) sustainable certification systems and financially valued in green procurement government policies;
22 global companies ae members. In total 123 certificates have been granted
For more details https://toolbox.concretesustainabilitycouncil.com/certifiedProjects
- Demonstrate leadership on sustainability and responsible sourcing
- Benefit from (future) green procurement
- Benefit from the Impact loan (The Netherlands)
- Credits awarded in green building rating systems (BREEAM, DGNB, Envision)
- CSC has now been recognised as a responsible sourcing certification system for concrete, cement and aggregates by the Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM), By DNGB and by Envision, a US infrastructure certification.
- The value of the CSC results in particular from the planned or partly already recognised recognition by international systems for assessing the sustainability of buildings. These are systems like BREEAM, LEED and DGNB. Against the background that, after studies on the investment volume in the contract sector in Germany, every fifth euro is invested in certified "green buildings", this means an increasingly greater competitive advantage for certified companies.
Supply chain certification
The certification includes the complete concrete supply chain: cement producers, aggregates suppliers and concrete manufacturers. The certification takes place in the categories management, environment, the social aspect of sustainability as well as in the category economy.